PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS. THIS WILL HELP FACILITATE OUR EFFORTS IN PROVIDING THE BEST ENDODONTIC CARE.
We have just completed the FIRST step of your endodontic therapy.
You will need to return to our office in severeal weeks so your endodontic treatment can be completed. It is important to return to our office for your second appointment, otherwise you may increase the risk of additional work becoming necessary.
- DO NOT EAT ANYTHING until you numbness is gone. This will give the temporary filling time to harden.
- DO NOT use the tooth for chewing. This helps prevent additional irritation.
- If the temporary should come out, you will have a STRONG, CONTINUOUS medicinal taste. PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE IF THIS SHOULD OCCUR.
We have just completed your endodontic treatment.
Your tooth may continue to feel slightly different from your other teeth for some time after your endodontic treatment is completed. However, if you have pressure or severe pain that lasts more than a few days, please call our office.
It is common to experience some some discomfort after your appointments. The tooth being treated and its surrounding tissues have been irritated by the inflammation and/or infection that was present in the root canal system. The manipulation of the tooth and its surrounding tissues may also produce irritation during and after treatment. Taking 1-2 ibuprofen, acetominophen, or aspirin every 4-6 hours will usually control any discomfort. Moderate to severe pain will occur in some cases.
YOUR TOOTH WILL ALSO FEEL BETTER IF YOU FOLLOW THESE SUGGESTIONS:
- Rinse the area of the involved tooth with warm salt-water solutions. This helps promote healing by stimulating circulation. Use 1/2 tsp. of table salt to one 8 oz. glass of warm water.
- If swelling develops, use these rinses as frequently as possible, as often as every 1/2 hour. This will promote drainage.
- If desired, you can use cold packs to the outer surface of the face in the area treated. Keep the cold pack in place for 5-10 minutes each time used.
- DO NOT apply heat to the face.
- If swelling or discomfort persists, please call our office.